Wednesday, August 4, 2010

If I could do it over again...

Linking up over @ Mama Kats Writers Workshop.  This week I chose to write on the prompt of "If I could do it over again..."

I'm sure with this prompt, you're supposed to write about something you wish you could do over again because you did something wrong and wanted to change the outcome.  Or maybe I'm totally off.  But, I'm actually going to write about my wedding day because I want to live that day over and over again.

My husband and I got married on September 15, 2007.  I had planned this wedding for about a year and a half, so I was MORE than ready, but in all honesty I never realized that this day would go by so incredibly fast.  Everyone tells you to take it all in because it will be over before you know it and boy were they telling the truth! I look back now and I didn't hardly take everything in.  There were so many wonderful people there supporting us and celebrating with us...but I probably couldn't tell you half the people that I actually remember talking to or seeing at the wedding and/or reception.  Pretty sad huh?  Not to mention we got to our reception extremely late because our lovely limo BROKE DOWN  on the way to the reception.  Yes, you read that right...BROKE DOWN, within 10 miles of the reception.  It was awful, my husband and I, along with our entire wedding party were stranded.  With the help of some lovely random people just passing by us we all got to the reception, just not at the same time.  And not before we had many people honking at us like it was funny.  NOTHING  is funny about a bride standing in the middle of the road...in her wedding dress...sweating...trying to get a ride to her own reception!  OK, so it is a little funny now that I look back on it, but at the time...NOT FUNNY.  In fact, I after I thanked the lovely gentleman who drove us to our reception and offered him to come inside to enjoy the festivities I quickly jumped out and started saying every fowl word imaginable.  So, I feel like I missed everyone.  I mean people had already eaten and some were ready to leave by the time we actually got to our own reception.  Therefore, after we were introduced...we were bombarded with people.  Which is all good and well...but whoa.  It was a whirlwind.

Even with that minor set back, I'd do it all over again.  You spend so much time planning your wedding.  From your dress, to flowers, to the reception details, and dealing with the bridesmaid drama...I mean a lot goes into your special day and then its all over with a blink of your eye.  When Eric and I got to our hotel for the night...I remember taking off my dress and telling him that I wanted to keep it on.  I loved, loved, loved my dress.  It was special and unique and I feel that  I didn't get to spend enough time in it.  I feel like a little girl wanting to play dress up with it.  I still to this day would like to wear it again.

We partied like it was 1999 that night and to this day people still tell me what a wonderful time they had.  Which, again, makes me want to do it all over again!  It was such an amazing day and well worth all the planning and drama.

I wasn't lying when we said we partied...here we are doing the Cha-Cha slide, of course!

The infamous bouquet toss

Its not fun until someone gets cake in the face! No worries here people, I got him WAY  worse than he got me!

I look scared in this photo, because I was.  All I needed was some spark to get into my hair, that was loaded down with hairspray.  Sparklers are a great idea...but I seriously was afraid someone was going to hit me with one.

4 comments:

  1. Visiting from Mama Kats...

    I always tell brides to be that it goes by way way faster than they think it will ... but they never really believe it. The only way to make it be long enough for the bride to take it all in is to have a 10-hour reception!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you wrote about your wedding! Wedding dresses are truly magical. I didn't get to have a reception, but we had a family dinner at Olive Garden and I wore my dress there. As we were leaving, a little girl of about 9 or so saw me and said "Mommy, look!! It's a princess!!" That was one of the best compliments ever. Stopping by from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to do my wedding day over again, too. Actually I really needed to read this to remind me of how much fun it all was when it began. Thanks!


    A Long Drive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice twist to the prompt! I would totally redo my wedding (with it already planned of course). It was a blast!

    ReplyDelete