Monday, August 9, 2010

I miss the friend you used to be

Mama's Losin' It

I won't lie, this week's writing prompts all sounded pretty good, but this topic kept pulling at me....so here I am writing about it.  This prompt comes from the book The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart.  Of course, I had to Google this to totally understand the prompt...which actually lead me to wanting  needing to buy this book and read it.  Not only because of the author's name (Leah - great name), but because it seems like a book I would really enjoy.  Anywho, back to the topic at hand...

Being a woman, I know all about the trials and tribulations of friendships...with other girls/women, whatever you will call them.  We are tough people to be friends with.  We are emotional,judgemental, hypocritical, gossiping, basket cases who are also sweet, caring, and love able people all bundled up into a great big package.  I've had my share of friends that have come and go throughout my 26 years of life, but I'm also a firm believer in that all "friends" aren't people you have to see and/or talk to on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.  It's great when you  can re-connect with someone you haven't talked to in months and pick up right where you left off...as if no time has passed.  Those, my dear readers, are what I like to call real friends.

I used to have a friend, whom shall remain unnamed.  We met in high school and continued to be friends after..which is where I think most friendships die.  We were there for each other through many events...weddings, funerals, birthdays,concerts, etc.  But for some reason, when I became pregnant....something happened to that friendship.  It slowly dwindled and right before Noah was born...I was officially cut out of that person's life, to which reasons are still unknown to me.  No visiting us in the hospital, or reaching out once we were home, or even a phone call to say congrats...ever since.  Noah is now 6 months old and I have yet to share this wonderful milestone in my life with this person.   As always there are 3 sides to every story (Your side, their side, and the truth) so I know each of us have explained what happened to all those who might ask...with or without choice words.  After being upset over it, I finally let it go a while back.  People come into your life for a reason...and they leave just the same.  Maybe whatever this person was supposed to teach me had been taught or vice versa.  But at the end of the day I can help but thinking to myself...what the hell happened? I miss the friend she used to be to me.

Nobody knows what the future holds...so maybe one day we will see each other and pick up right where we left off.  Maybe not.  Who knows.   I know how tough it is to maintain those very few true friends that we have and I'm more grateful than ever for the precious people I have surrounding me...they are pretty stinking amazing.  And since becoming a mom, I've reconnected with lots of other new mommies and its amazing!

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. It is a must read for sure. Loved the post too! Who would have though those 10th grade writing prompts that we HATED are actually becoming useful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post. Female friendships are complicated. Your friend could be jealous of your pregnancy, maybe she wanted to have a baby. Or maybe she feels motherhood would change you and affect your friendship...sometimes, people get strange ideas. Maybe some day you'll reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the same thing happened to me...losing a friend can sometimes feel like grieving a death, no? now I have to go get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the brighter side of losing a friend, I gained lots of amazing ones that are new mommies as well. Which, is amazing. But you're right Teresha...especially when they were like family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend like that....we don't speak and I have no idea why. It's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar experience with a friend. We were able to reconnect after a time, but ultimately the friendship ended. It's hard to lose those friends. Stopping by from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, now I have to go buy another book I don't have time to read! LOL

    Sometimes we never find out why people decide to walk away from us, but, like you said, there IS a reason. You just don't know what it is yet. Enjoyed the post.

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not having closure is, I think, the most difficult thing. I had a friend from college that did that to another friend. Well, she did it to all of us after her wedding, but she was best friends with my friend Maria and never spoke to her again. Maria still has no idea why - and this goes back about 20 years. So odd!

    Anyway, mommy friends will be your lifesavers and I'm so glad you're finding so many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. strange how folks just disappear occasionally. I like to imagine they were abducted by aliens. Makes me feel better than thinking they just don't like me anymore!?
    I hope they return your friend soon!

    ReplyDelete