Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Zoey, the fierce Pitbull

Over at Mama Kat's this week...I chose the writing prompt of "your pets least likable character trait."

This is Zoey.  My husband and I adopted her back in...oh 2005 or so?  She was our 2nd rescue dog. 
When we got her she looked like this and we were told that she would get no bigger than 30 lbs and that she was a PitBull/Jack Russell mix.  Now, I know I'm not the only one that looks at her and totally sees the PitBull, but now Jack Russell?? I think not.  After she was full grown...and a whopping 60 lbs we soon figured out she was PitBull/Lab mix.
Zoey wasn't exactly the easiest dog to train.  We had a few difficulties, but when you rescue dogs you don't know their background so you don't really know what they went through before you were given the chance to make their life better.  Skippy - our first rescue, didn't like her when we first brought her home, but now they are inseparable.


Well, whatever happened to this poor child...really messed her up.  You look at her and think...oh she's part pitbull..so she must be a fierce, mean guard dog.  Try again.

You open the refrigerator door...she runs
You make a loud nose...she runs
Any male that tries to and pet her....she barks
Anytime Eric is upstairs yelling and routing for his team during football season (GO STEELERS!!)...she runs and hides
Anytime Noah is in his highchair...she runs to the computer room in fear of him throwing something overboard.
If she hears anything outside...a car door(from the neighbors house), a horn, another dog bark...she is in full on hair sticking up crazy mode.

Ok, so you get the gist.  She's a little jumpy...to say the least.  Every little noise scares her and I have no idea what we did, if we did anything to make her that way.  Needless to say our poor wood floors have probably gotten the worse part of it.  There are deep scratches...all over.  Due to my very fierce looking PitBull mix...and her very scared personality.

Regardless of her crazy ways, she is a great dog now that she's all grown up.  She is amazing with Noah and wants to be around him at all times.  She licks his face and hands and all that yummy good stuff.  She is his guard dog and has been since the day we came home with him.  Pitbulls really are great breeds and it's sad that society has such a bad image of them.  So, even though we ended up with a 60 lb dog that thinks she's 30 lb and scared of everything...she's great.  At least I know her bark is scary enough to make unwanted people not want to come in our house.  Free security system :)


She really looks like she's about to pounce huh? haha  Ah...the life of a dog.


Join us and link up!!
Mama's Losin' It

2 comments:

  1. Sweet puppy!

    We had a bulldog for a million years and he was afraid of shopping bags -- the paper kind with the handles -- and would cower in terror when they appeared in his universe. So I feel your confuddlement over a big furry baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable puppy!
    I have a dog and he is afraid of any sound made. He just barks and run to hide.

    http://dwivedi2326.blogspot.com/2010/09/i-love-being-teacher.html

    ReplyDelete