Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's happened...

As a new mom, part of the adventure is learning that your child changes on a daily basis.  It's so neat to see their skills and personality develop as they get older.  Noah is now pretty much laughing out loud, more like squealing - but I'll take it and he's talking his baby babble.  Cutest. Thing. Ever.  This morning on the way to grandma's he was just  chatting away...so cute.  Back to my point...Noah has been an exception sleeper, sleeping thru the night at around 7 or 8 weeks, taking two hour naps during the day and eating every 4 hours.  But for some reason this week he's been waking up in the middle of the night...several times, to the point where on Tuesday night I broke down and made a pallet on his floor because I had already gotten out of bed probably over 5 times JUST to put a pacifier in his mouth.  At first I thought it was because he was hungry and once again started the debate in my head that I needed to start giving him some cereal at night...but then I realized, when he's crying his eyes aren't open and he's not his "hungry" cry...and when the pacifier goes in, he's back asleep.  Then I thought it was because he was rolling over to his back, but can't roll back over to his stomach so he would get upset....but at no point last night was he even turned over.

So, as Eric comes into his room this morning to swap places with me so I can get ready (as in he came to sleep on the floor, YES, for the 2nd night in a row I slept on my child's floor) I said "this is ridiculous".  Which, in fact...it is.  He's not hungry, his eyes are closed and he's not rolled over...so, what the heck is the problem???? Then as I'm in the shower it dawns on me...its happened, my kid officially has his mom and dad WRAPPED around his little finger.  I don't know what's come over me...I used to be such a stickler of letting him cry it out and now all of a sudden he makes one little peep and I'm jumping out of bed and running to him just to put a pacifier in his mouth(Granted, I do that mostly because I don't want him to get so upset he cant be consoled).  My kid has me sleeping on a hard floor all night just so I don't have to walk across the house.....WHAT HAS COME OVER ME????

Well, not tonight folks.  Tonight Mr. Noah will just have to cry...I might go by and pick up some cereal tonight and let him try some, but that's a pretty big might.  I'm almost positive he's just used to us coming to him to stick a pacifier in his mouth.  Kids are so smart, its quite scary.

3 comments:

  1. it's the attack of the 4 month wakeful!! bella went through this too and is just now starting to settle a little. something about the 4th month, they get really restless and have weird sleep habits. i don't think it has anything to do with you! =) except that he loves you so much, he doesn't want mommy time to end!!!

    http://pregnant.thebump.com/new-mom-new-dad/newborn-basics/qa/4-month-wakeful-period.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. Thanks for the link :) I'm so glad I have helpful mommies!!! Reading that made me feel much better about the situation...how the heck did i not read about that before? haha He's still going to be crying it out tonight..mom and dad need their rest as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog Leah! Good luck with the sleeping plan tonight - can't wait to hear what happens.
    And, I agree...little Noah IS smart!

    ReplyDelete