First, let me start off by saying I apologize for not doing my usual update on Noah...I will get to that later. This had been on my mind since this weekend and I MUST get it off my chest.
I know we have all been told since we were little that "it isn't polite to stare." Granted, we've all been guilty of this at some point in our lives, but I'd like to think that as we get older and mature we are more aware of our surroundings and how we can affect people with a simple stare. Where did this come from you might ask? I will tell you. Over the weekend we took a family trip to BJ's, nothing out of the ordinary for us. We get diapers, wipes, baby food and yummy steaks from BJ's. I couldn't help but notice the amount of people(and I'm not talking about just kids here, I mean ADULTS) staring at my child...because of his brace. Let me back up a little though and say that from the beginning with Noah and his casts it wasn't hard for me to talk to people about his club feet, in fact, it was nice to talk to people about it. People would walk right up to me - as people generally do when they see babies - then when they noticed he had casts on they would ask why...and I would explain, which would lead into them knowing someone in their family or friends that had club feet as well. It's nice when people ask, instead of stare. I don't mind talking to you about it, really...
So, back to the story. Aisle, after aisle people were staring at Noah in his stroller. Normally this doesn't bother me because like I said people usually come up and talk, ask questions, that sort of thing. And maybe I was just super emotional that day, but as we were leaving I told Eric that it really bothered me the way people were looking at Noah. He - being the typical man, with no emotions, ha ha - said, "Oh, don't think anything of it." So..I didn't, I brushed it off. But for some people it just really stuck with me that day. Moral of the story is, don't stare people...if you see something out of the ordinary, talk...ask questions. I guarantee people will be more open to talking/discussing than you staring at them like your wearing someones underwear on their head. It's rude and I can't stand it. And like I said earlier I know we are ALL guilty of this probably more than we'd like to admit, but going thru this(which is quite minor compared to what some people live with on a daily basis) has helped me understand how those people feel, and its not good.
On a side note, we were totally surprised this weekend by a special visit from Diane and Carli(sorry if I spelled your name wrong!!!) Well, actually they surprised Cindy with the visit and we just happen to live in the same state. ha ha So if you guys are reading this - which I know you will at some point - we enjoyed having you over for dinner...even if we didn't have any buns for your hot dogs :) And we hate that we didn't get to spend more time with you...but wait, Carli is still here! She is actually staying till Tuesday. Her and Cindy will have fun this week with Noah...and I know my little ham of a son is LOVING all the extra attention :)
No comments:
Post a Comment